Thursday, February 13, 2014

A Two-for-One Book Review

Good Morning!  I would ask how your weather is, but I think none of us have anything nice to say about it!  So we shall move on to better topics.


Have you ever read a book and just KNEW you would love it from the starting sentence?  This is what happened to me with the book Julie and Romeo written by Jeanne Ray. In fact, I fell in love with this book so quickly I made sure I had the follow-up book, Julie and Romeo Get Lucky, in my hands so there would be no break in between books! 

We all know the story of Romeo and Juliet and their quarreling families.  Now, imagine this in our current 21st century and make Romeo and Julie, as she is called in these books, in their sixties!  I tell you, they are a hoot!

The families of Julie Roseman and Romeo Cacciamani had been feuding for years.  Julie and Romeo grew up knowing you did not talk to the 'other' family.   Over the years, reasons for this feud had never been spoken of.  All that was known was to hate the other family.

Julie and Romeo own rival flower shops in Somerville.  Each of them have lost their spouse, Romeo's by death and Julie's by divorce.  They each have children and grandchildren.  Their families, unlike Romeo and Julie, want to keep this feud going on for eternity.

A chance meeting at a business seminar reunites the Roseman and Cacciamani clan.  While Romeo and Julie think it is high time this feud end, their families have other opinions.  The chance meeting of these two have the feud switch  from simmering to full-on boiling!

I don't want to give away too much about the books. No spoilers here!  I will say that these books put a whole new twist on Romeo and Juliet.  

Can you read one and not the other?  Of course, although I could not!  Can you read them out of order?  Of course!  I will say if you enjoy a comical, yet dramatic read, one that touches on families, traditions and lots of love, you will enjoy these!

I hope each of you have a wonderful Thursday.  Please, stay warm and be safe if you must venture out in this crazy weather that most of the world is having.  Read a good book, share a meal with those you love.  Remember, above all else, tomorrow is another day!

Hugs...








No comments:

Post a Comment