Monday, September 28, 2015

September and a Wish From My Bucket List

September has been a funny month. Some of the days have flown by so quickly I couldn't catch my breath.  Others found me groaning when I realized it was only 9 am and I felt like it was midnight.  Do you have days like that?

I am so glad that the humidity of this summer seems to be steadily decreasing this month. Not by leaps and bounds, which is what I was wishing for, but a small percent each day. My bones are very happy! While I have been around this humidity-filled state for 17 years, I still have trouble with it. Maybe it's my age or perhaps my ever-increasing arthritis, but I still don't like it! Being born in the desert, humidity is something I did not, and still don't, understand!

Have you ever noticed that when one happy moment comes, not far down the line comes a sad one? This month, I lost a dear aunt. She had gone into hospital to have surgery on a blockage and did not make it. She was 82. She was a talented woman.She taught English at high school level, was an accomplished pianist and made the best pies you ever hoped to eat. She was a wife, mom, sister, aunt, grandma and great-grandma. We will all miss her terribly. We also found out that one of my grand-daughters is deaf on one side. It was discovered during her entrance physical for kindergarten. This past Friday, the doctors performed an out-patient surgery to try and repair a hole in her ear. It doesn't look good, as the hole is much bigger than they at first thought.  In 4 weeks, they will see how it is and then make a decision about more extensive surgery. When it rains, it pours. On a happy note, the new grand-baby that is due around Valentine's Day is a boy!! The boys are finally catching up to the girls in this family. It's about time!

Today my youngest, Laura, turns 16! How that happened so quickly is mind-blowing! She is a wonderful young lady, a talented artist, a musician and a wonderful aunt.  I am so proud of her and love her dearly.

So now onto that Bucket List wish. I actually have several Bucket Lists; is that normal? This one falls under Places I Want To Go. If you have read my blog or Facebook or just have talked to me, you know that I love the UK. I have always been drawn to it and could see myself living there and being very, very happy. Each year, in Skipton, Yorkshire, there is a yarn festival named Yarndale. It takes place in the end of September and is a site to behold! The pathway, the light poles, the trees and the Exhibition Hall are all decorated in yarn! Remembering that it was this past weekend, I was reminded of something: a part of me has actually been in Skipton for the past two years! Happy dance moment! You see, each year there is a sort of theme at Yarndale. In 2013 there was bunting, so the Hall was decorated. In 2014, there was a mandala wall. This year, it was flowers for Alzheimer's. In 2013,I made 50 bunting triangles, 2014 I made mandalas. So while my actual body was not in the UK, my crochet work was and that is good enough for me. :) The items are used every year and new ones are placed each year also.  If you have not seen the wonder that is Yarndale, google it. There is a photo gallery and even a shop where you can buy tea towels or totes with the Yarndale sheep on them. They are, by the way, adorable!! I have tote bage from all three years and they are huge bags, just right for holding lots of yarn. :)

Well, that's about all the news from here. As usual, I have been crafting from dawn to dusk, making birthday goodies and getting a start on Christmas things. Now, I must bake a cake, or someone might be a tad upset.

Until next time, laugh with friends, love those around you and live life to the fullest. Remember, you are one-of-a-kind, which makes you pretty special. 

Hugs...





10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that your September has had sad and difficult moments. I'm sure your dear aunt will be missed by so many. And I hope that your little granddaughter's ear surgeries will be successful and that kindergarten will be a happy time for her. Happy birthday to your Laura! And congratulations on the new baby boy expected.

    I think it's wonderful that you've sent parts of yourself to the UK in the form of your own handiwork.

    I hope the cake is delicious!

    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about the loss of your aunt. It's never easy to lose a loved one. I hope your granddaughter's ear can be fixed... saying a prayer.

    I hope things get better for you soon. And I hope that one day you'll be able to visit your beloved UK :)

    (((hugs)))
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb, I appreciated your wishes for our anniversary and came here to say thank you and that I hope the humidity where you live is much better now--and that your granddaughter is doing well in kindergarten!

    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the toast recipe. I am very familiar with the brown sugar part, but the coconut would take it right over the top. Yum.

    Aunts have such a special place in the fabric of family. Your aunt sounds like a very special lady. May your happy memories be with you. Saying a prayer for your granddaughter's hearing and for a good result.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Deb. Thanks so much for all the good holiday, birthday and new year wishes. You know that I wish the same for you and your loved ones! I'm planning to make this year better, including finding a good dog to keep me company. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb!!! You are my winner!!!! Come on over to my blog!!!! Bella's Rose Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  7. waoo nice post regarding "September and a Wish From My Bucket List"

    Thanks,

    Silver Trading Tips

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deb, Thank you so much for your kindness in regards to my Max. I appreciate your comment. I work with a little one who is deaf in one ear and she is a pistol! She does not let it stop her at all, in fact it is all she knows so she seems just fine. I will be thinking of your grand-daughter. And also I am sorry about the loss of your aunt.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. waoo well written post about September and a Wish From My Bucket List

    Thanks,

    NIOS Admission 10th 2018

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your blog...glad I found you. :)

    ReplyDelete